I logged on this afternoon, home after 2 successful school runs. Successful because I wasn’t late getting the kids, AND I brought home the right kids. Win-win. But I digress…I logged on, and my Internet home page displayed itself as per usual. Nothing remarkable there, unless you count that the Internet works! I got online with the intention of futzing around a bit before I went back to work on finishing the novel I’m writing (Gable Cove: Gladiolus Garden House: What’s A Girl To Do – Book 2 of the series). At the top of the headlines was one that read: “Beyoncé, Solange and Jay Z Issue Statements About the Fight That Rocked the World.”
Yes. Apparently this private issue caught on video and shared with the world…and according to some, it ROCKED the world.
I am here to tell you that not a single ripple because of that Solange/Jay Z fight affected my world in any way. In fact, I have a list of things that “Rock My World,” and oddly enough, Beyoncé, Solange and Jay Z are not included on my list. Not at the top, not in the middle, not at the end, not anywhere in between any of those landmarks, in fact. And I’ll prove it.
Things That Rock My World
1. My husband. Because he’s awesome and he puts up with me, and not the least of which…I love him. He is my world.
2. My kids. There isn’t anything I wouldn’t do for them. They are my world, along with their Dad (see #1).
3. My best friend, Sherry. Because she “gets it.” We’re 1000% certain our brains were separated at birth, and that (this should terrify the world at large) we are walking about with only half a brain. All sorts of things happen when we put our pointy li’l heads together. Hehe. Great fun.
4. Bats. They know who they are. A more supportive group of friends you’ll never find, and they are scattered around the world – Canada, England, Sweden, Australia, and everywhere in the US.
5. A good meal. Usually one I haven’t prepared myself, but there have been occasions when I’ve sat there at the dinner table in an absolute stupor.
6. Rocks. Rocks rock my world. They’re fascinating. I wish they could talk. Imagine what we could learn about this planet of ours if only they could talk.
7. A good book, a good series…Finding a book or series that parks a permanent grin on my face and love in my heart for the author’s brilliance…this rocks my world. Books.
8. My doggie, Princess Callie Roo Roo. Callie or Roo Roo for short. If this little bundle of lovey dovey huggy doggy fur doesn’t rock your world, then there’s the door. Really. Don’t let it hit you on the ass on the way out.
9. A beautiful song. *I Hope You Dance* by Lee Ann Womack is a true work of art. There are more, but this isn’t a list of songs that have touched me. Music rocks my world.
10. Writing. When the Muse is benevolent and the words are flowing from my fingers to the keyboard, to the document on my computer, this rocks my world.
11. Crafts. Making something beautiful for someone as a gift, or even making something for myself, rocks my world. Creativity has so many outlets, and being able to enjoy all that I do, this rocks my world.
12. Any number of the special people in my world. Every single one of them rocks my world by simply being my friend – you are all tremendous joy to me.
13. Humor. The ability to laugh at myself rocks my world. The gift of being able to appreciate jokes, the deliciously ridiculous. Humor is such an important component of our lives, IMHO. Smile. Laugh. Find the humor and dwell on that. It’ll rock your world.
I’ll end the list with thirteen. It’s probably enough to give you a general idea as to what is most important to me. The list goes on and includes things like the drought where I live, the sluggish economic recovery, the wildfire raging in SoCal, political things best not addressed here at this time…The thing is that my world is deeper and richer by these wonderful things that truly Rock My World because there is meaning to them. Emotion. Connections. They are part of my life in one way or another. Granted, “rocks” is a pretty silly thing to put on that list, but I couldn’t help myself – see #13. These are the things that matter. The elevator fight between Solange Knowles and Jay Z is important…to THEM. It’s none of my business, and it’s absolutely ridiculous (and not in a humorous way) that the news they’d issued a statement garnered the top spot on the list of news with such an unfortunate headline. I don’t mind “light news.” But c’mon. That’s so light, it’s in danger of floating away if it’s not tethered to the ground.
So. What rocks YOUR world? (Keep it family friendly, folks, please – I will delete ‘R’ rated, and rude comments).